Our Whomp’s Fortress stars guide is part of our Super Mario 64 walkthrough and features all seven Power Stars and their locations.
Like every world in our Super Mario 64 walkthrough, Whomp’s Fortress has a total of seven stars to collect. Six are obtained through the level stages while the final star is earned once you collect 100 coins in a single run. Jump to each of the Whomp’s Fortress stars with the links below!
- Star 1 – Chip off Whomp’s Block
- Star 2 – To the Top of the Fortress
- Star 3 – Shoot into the Wild Blue
- Star 4 – Red Coins on the Floating Isle
- Star 5 – Fall onto the Caged Island
- Star 6 – Blast Away the Wall
- Star 7 – 100 Coins Star
Star 1 – Chip off Whomp’s Block
Get to the top of the fortress and defeat the Whomp King to get the star. From the start, walk up the slope and backflip up the stone wall. Go upward on the sloped path following the yellow arrows. Walk past the sleeping Piranha Plant and wait for the spinning platform to reach you. Stand in the middle as it turns. Get past the Whomps and use the rotating platforms to reach the top.
To defeat the Whomp King, stand in front of the behemoth and move just before it jumps and lands face first in attempt to squash you. Once on the floor, jump on its back and ground pound to deal damage. Do this three times to reveal the star.
Star 2 – To the Top of the Fortress
There’s a new section where the boss battle took place in the previous level. Get back up to the top of the fortress to find a new tower. Use the platforms that circle the tower to reach the top. Be aware, some go in and out of the tower. Star is at the top.
Star 3 – Shoot into the Wild Blue
Get up to the area with the shallow water and walk over to the pink Bob-omb Buddy. Chat and open up the nearby cannon. Use the cannon to reach the area on the left, the spot under the long pole. Aim the cannon above the column in the back and at the edge of the roof to account for the drop off. If done correctly, you’ll hit the column in the back, allowing you to use the smaller pole to reach the star below.
Star 4 – Red Coins on the Floating Isle
Collect all eight red coins and a star will appear in the starting area. These coin locations are best collected in this order:
- One above the Moving Bars trying to push you off the path.
- On top of the higher blue Thwomp. Use the step in front of it jump on top of its head when it’s lowered.
- Behind the sleeping Piranha Plant.
- Along the wall between the two Piranha Plants.
- Ride the outer part of the spinning platform and collect the red coin in the line of coins.
- At the base of the tower, jump and kick over the plank of wood to reach the arrow platform. Use it to reach the brick platform for another red coin.
- Nearby is a small floating island with a red coin on it.
- There’s a steep slope near the cannon. Either try to jump up to the red coin or drop down from above.
Star 5 – Fall onto the Caged Island
There’s a caged star floating at the top of the world with the top part open. You could try blasting up their with a precise cannon shot… or you could simply use the owl. Climb up the tree in the starting area to reveal an owl. Grab onto it and hold to have it soar into the sky. While still grabbing, maneuver the owl above the caged star and let go once you’re above it.
Star 6 – Blast Away the Wall
Take note of the two walls sectioning off the black steep slope with the red coin. Hop into the cannon and aim at the corner of the wall farthest from you. Shoot at it to destroy the corner and reveal a star. Walk up to the top of the wall and simply walk down the broken edge to get the star, otherwise you’ll have to use the cannon to get it. Aim above the star obviously, but aim at the same height of the first coin so that you get the angle right.
Star 7 – 100 Coins Star
Collect 100 coins without dying or leaving a level to earn an additional star. Collect all the coins you see laying around but do keep in mind the following tips as you play. There’s a possible 141 coins to collect.
- Start with the blue switch for an easy 20 coins.
- Piranha Plants give blue coins.
- Try getting the more risky coins first. If you fail, you have to start over.
Need a different world? Jump to any of the 15 worlds in our Super Mario 64 walkthrough below: