Treese On Games is a Sunday column where Tyler Treese takes a look back at all of the week’s gaming news and gives his thoughts.
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS is finally out and having played it for several hours I have some early impressions to share. The first thing that really stood out for me (other than that the user interface is poorly designed) was that the core gameplay was still a blast. Smash Bros. still plays like Smash Bros. for better or for worst. There are not a ton of changes so those that do not like the series won’t have their minds changed but the game offers a ton of fun to the fans it already has.
Other than that not much of the game has really stood out to me so far. That said I am having fun and I love the character roster. My early favorites to play as have to be Duck Hunt and Pac-Man. Both are super unique characters and Pac-Man has the best final smash in the entire series. I’m sure i’ll have more thoughts in upcoming installments as I spend more time with the game so be on the look-out for that.
- Smash Run is horrible. I just can’t believe that a mode devoid of fun has gotten such a push from Nintendo to not only have it as a selling point on the back of the box but also prominently featured on the main menu. While the idea itself is sound the execution is flawed. The lack of strategy during the run is baffling and the time it takes to get into the actual match is far too long. If you are enjoying this mode I would love to know why in the comments.
- Satoru Okada has retired from Nintendo. Okada, who directed several games such as Metroid, Kid Icarus and Super Mario Land, later became the General Manager of Nintendo’s Research and Engineering department. There he would be the chief developer on multiple handhelds including the Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance and Nintendo DS. I would like to thank Okada for all of his work and I hope he enjoys his retirement. Thanks for the great memories.
- In a bit of bad yet not surprising news it looks like Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker might be delayed in North America as well. Gamefly has updated its page for the title now giving a date of March 31st, 2015. While this isn’t a confirmation, it can’t be good news for fans hoping to play Captain Toad’s latest adventure later this year.
- Since everybody is busy playing Smash Bros. (myself included) I pushed back this week’s Legacy Lookback. Since it is a week behind i’ll give you a hint on what it will be about. It will focus on a Game Boy launch title. Also since I spent so much time play Smash Bros. I didn’t have a chance to jump into Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga but we’ll get back into that next week as well.
- As promised i’ll give out my 3DS information so we can finally settle it in Smash whether or not Waluigi is the greatest Mario character. My friend code is 3566-1540-5299. After you have added me leave a comment below with your friend code so I can add you! I’ll set aside time Tuesday night to play Smash Bros. with anyone from 8-10pm EST. Hopefully we’ll battle soon!
Thanks for reading and I hope to get your thoughts in the comments below!