The most recent issue of GameInformer has revealed new details on the upcoming Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, including the names of the six islands that Donkey Kong and the Krew will travel to:
- 6 islands
- 6-7 levels per island
- Boss stage and a bonus level as well
- Bonus level unlocks after collecting all KONG letters in each level
- World 1: Lost Mangroves (rainforest, vine grabbing, zip-lining)
- World 2: Autumn Heights (Bavarian-like mountain, mine carts, hot-air balloons, giant owls, jagged cliff faces)
- World 3: Bright Savannah (tall grass, orange/brown colors, like an African safari, dodge brush fire and penguins with spears)
- World 4: Sea Breeze Cove (blue harbors, sandy inlets, lots of swimming, dodge electric seaweed and manage air supply)
- World 5: Juicy Jungle (tropical forest that produces a rare fruit, home to an elaborate processing plant, jump off jellies to reach new heights)
- World 6: DK Island (Donkey Kong’s tree house has been frosted over, has homages to levels from Donkey Kong Country Returns)
- Snowmads are made up of penguins, owls, rabbits, sea lions, and walruses
- Diddy Kong’s cartwheel attack useful for close attacks
- Use Kong Pow with Diddy to turn all enemies on the screen into extra balloons
- As previously mentioned, Dixie’s Kong Pow turns onscreen enemies into gold hearts
- Dixie’s ponytail is like a propeller underwater for extra speed
- Enemies will get tougher as you progress
- Tucks (penguin-like enemies) start out with Donkey Kong being able to take them out by jumping on their heads or rolling into them
- Later, they’ll have spears and helmets at their disposal, so you can only attack them from behind
- Tucks will then come with double-sided spears and spiked helmets, so they must be stunned first before you can attack
- Will always control Donkey Kong in single-player
- Side characters add to Donkey Kong’s abilities
- Subtle differences between the side characters
- Can switch between side characters by breaking barrels in the levels
- Icons on the barrels rotate slowly so that you can pick your partner
- Offers challenging gameplay
In addition to the GameInformer preview, Nintendo has released a press release detailing this weekend’s announcement of Cranky Kong, coupled with an updated box art and official artwork of Cranky:
CRANKY KONG BOUNCES INTO DONKEY KONG COUNTRY: TROPICAL FREEZE
During this weekend’s VGX event, a live demonstration of the upcoming Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze game for Wii U revealed some exciting details about the addition of Cranky Kong as a playable character. For the first time in the Donkey Kong Country series, players will be able to assume control of the fan-favorite Cranky Kong. Cranky joins Diddy Kong and Dixie Kong as one of Donkey Kong’s partners in the game. At VGX, an event celebrating video games, Nintendo also revealed that the game will launch in North America on Feb. 21 in stores and on the Nintendo eShop.
The bearded Cranky Kong is very spry for his age, using his cane to bounce on dangerous objects like spikes. This ability helps him access areas other characters can’t reach. During single-player mode, Cranky rides on Donkey Kong’s back. In co-op multiplayer, a second player can control Cranky, Diddy or Dixie directly (an additional controller is required for multiplayer play, and is sold separately).
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is the next installment in the smash-hit Donkey Kong Country series. The new game lets players embark on an original adventure with Donkey Kong and partners Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong and Cranky Kong as they battle The Snowmads, who have invaded and frozen their home, Donkey Kong Island. Players will jump from island to island as they explore a huge variety of new environments, from lush mangroves to burning savannahs and Donkey Kong’s frozen island. The game introduces a number of new features, such as the ability to swim, a dynamic camera that adds dimension and depth to the gorgeous on-screen action, and the ability to play the full game on the Wii U GamePad controller in off-TV play.
For more information about Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, visit http://donkeykong.nintendo.com/tropical-freeze.