A recent interview with director of Mario Kart Kosuke Yabuk and Hideki Konno of Nintendo EAD has revealed new details on the upcoming Mario Kart 8. The original interview is in French, but a translated version reveals the following tidbits:
- Mario Kart 8 started development a little over a year ago.
- The entire game is being handled by EAD in Kyoto.
- Other ideas for the GamePad are in the works, but the main priority is “remote display” on the GamePad.
- The final game will feature three laps per course, unlike the E3 demo which featured only two.
- Partner system from Double Dash is a common request, hopefully this desire can be met.
- Mario Kart 8 tracks have narrowed when compared to Mario Kart Wii.
- No hands means no playable spot for Goomba!
- Customization for tires, body, and glider returning, now with a little more “choice.”
- Don’t expect a track editor this time around.
- Camera will always stay focused on the player, regardless of gravity.
Let us know what you think in the comments below!