Today is another huge day for New Super Mario Bros. U! Just like yesterday in which a Nintendo Land embargo was lifted, today a New Super Mario Bros. U embargo ended, allowing many outlets to let out their latest impressions and details. With that, let’s jump right into what was revealed!
- P-Acorn – Allows you to fly indefinitely.
- Penguin Suit – Returns, but only in Challenges Mode.
- Similar to New Super Mario Bros. Wii, you can hold onto items between levels, but this time you only have 10 slots to carry items.
- Nabbit – Appears on World Map. You will have to catch him in one of the levels. The reward is a P-Acorn.
- Baby Yoshis are found on the World Map and can follow you into any level.
- Power-Ups are also found scattered about the World Map
- Peach’s Castle will be seen in cutscenes from time to time, growing in disarray. It will eventually be surrounded by a tornado.
- World Themes include Acorn Plains, Layer Cake Desert, Sparkling Waters, Frosted Glacier, Soda Jungle.
- There is also a Big Island, featuring the giant versions of enemies and blocks.
- Challenges are broekn into different games.
- This includes Flying, 1-Ups, Boost Mode, Coin Collecting, and Special.
- Challenges have difficulty rankings, ranging from 1-5 Stars
- You are competing to earn a Bronze, Silver, or Gold Medal.
- One challenge has you sliding down a hill in the Penguin Suit trying to defeat as many enemies as possible to earn 1-Ups.
- Another challenge has you holding a Baby Blue Yoshi that spits out bubbles that you will need to bunce off to reach a higher goal.
- Next challenge has you dodging fireballs from two Fire Bor.s for 40 seconds.
- Completing challenges will unlock new ones.
- One Special Challenge has you protecting a Monty Mole on a raft while defeating knocking out the Goombas the slow the raft down.
- More examples include making it through a stage without touching the ground, beat the “Big Island ” level without defeating a single enemy, and use a single Koopa shell to score a certain amount of lives.
- Coin Battle stages come from single player.
- Customize levels with coin placement.
- Create them for you and your friends.
Bosses and Enemies
- Bowser Jr. will appear at random and ambush you.
- One of these fights is in an underwater airship where you must use Bwser Jr.’s torpedoes against him.
- Morton Jr. fights with a giant hammer that can shape platforms around you.