The January issue of Nintendo Power is hitting store shelves, this time with new info on the upcoming Mario Party 9. Since it’s unveiling at E3 2011, Mario Party 9 has seen little to no explanation on the new gameplay elements that are being featured in the ninth installment in the franchise. Nintendo Power was able to shed some light on the new car mode as well as the white and purple “Mini Stars” we have been seeing in screens and the trailer.
The objective of the game will be to collect as many Mini Stars as possible by collecting them on the board, through minigames, and by landing on certain spaces. Mini Ztars, the purple counterparts, will deduct from your overall Mini Star count and should be avoided at all costs. You want to have the most Mini Stars by the end of the stage.
Some of the major information to come out of Nintendo Power:
- Bob-omb Factory is the latest board to be announced. It will feature moving conveyor belts
- Special Dice Blocks can be used to manipulate the outcome of a roll. These include dice blocks that let you roll a 0 or 1, and a dice block that rolls higher numbers.
- Toad Road will feature a bridge where players must roll high numbers in order to pass. If not successful, players will be sent to a Mini-Ztar filled canyon.
- Each board has a boss as well as a miniboss.
- Bob-omb Factory’s boss is indeed the Whomp seen in images.
- The Whomp boss will have “each player stand on a rotating platform while attempting to avoid being flattened by the stone creature”.
- A new minigame involves players in a memory game in which players must “quickly count a horde of Goombas as they rush into their homes”.
Expect scans of the pages soon! A huge thanks to Tyler from Mario Party Forum for the information!